THE HUSTLES OF WEARING A MAKEUP

One body, many faces…

As a person accustomed to natural rural life, artificial stuff becomes very conspicuously odd to me. I got used to the idea that every human had a single look and face by which they are known.

Now in the city, I have come to see artificial multiple looks. Ones that are “made up”, and actually sometimes over made.

Once in my city encounters, I met this lady who was a friend with a relatively stable face and look. But then she changed the next semester and oh, I could not make her out. She had over made so much that she had a new look in-congruent to the image my mind has stored of her. That birthed the death of our friendship. I wasn’t to blame – I needed to memorize school books to pass my exams and not multiple looks of the same being.

When the face paints others…

One rare morning when I decided to dress up in my new shirt to class, I saw a happy face of a lady with opened arms inviting a hug from me. I obeyed and offered the hug (though awkwardly). I moved to the lecture only to realize her cheeks got stamped into my new blue shirt. I turned to see her, and then I noticed, my shirt had wiped off her face make up. I didn’t know whether to feel sorry for defacing her or that my shirt was dirtied by her art-made face. Well, I now have learned to hug less and be sure of the face before I accept hugs.

When it Rains…

I sighted it first in Ho (Volta, Ghana). She looked elegant from afar and was nicely dressed too. The rains had just started and she ran for shelter in front of a shop where almost everyone was sent to by the downpour of rain. She had spots on her face like the type the seashore sand forms after shallow rains fall. I honestly didn’t catch the brain behind it but I could sense she was messy and uncomfortable too. The rain had distorted her make-up.

While we all wiped the water from our faces with our handkerchiefs and face towels, she was pressing her soft tissue on her face as though she was dressing a badly hurting wound. In fact she was not able to dry her face but she succeeded in further degenerating her look and exposed some few pimples and scars that were initially hidden by the makeup. I don’t know how many honest guys would want their fiancee or wife go through such an ordeal. (At least, not me).

When they sweat or cry…

I have seen a lot of people cry and most of those were at Ghanaian funerals. The most notable of the cries I have watched was not the usual loud types. This one was rather a mild emotional tear-shedding by a young university student who dressed neatly and made up her face to defend her academic thesis before a panel. (The details of why the cry are kept for another day). But it was funny how her tears drew parallel lines from her lower eyelashes to her chin. ‘Tears had wiped her supposed beauty’.  She had to cover the mess the tears had caused and rush to the washroom to sustain the deceptive act or art I should say.

In order not to step on too many toes, I would not tell the details of the mess of makeups when those who wear them sweat. Africa is a hot place and so people sweat easier. When the salt of sweat mixes with the components of makeup, the “fragrance” it emanates is not very pleasant to the noses of those around. (I bet you, I can say more about this but, my life is dear).

MAKEUPS WHEN APPLIED MILDLY ONCE IN A WHILE OFFER THOSE NECESSARY OCCASIONAL FACELIFTS TO MAKE THE DAY. But they can become inconveniences both to users and others around.

You can continue the story by sharing  your experiences or ideas in the comments section below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EWE NAMES AND THEIR MEANINGS

EVER-FRESH TRUST

'I STILL LOVE YOU'