Immortal Wish





Living in a room with broken windows and a door dancing without the help of its hinges. The cockroaches on the walls and crickets whistling from outside. I tried to ignore them all. With my eyes closed and clothes stacked in my ears I lay to rest.

I briefed relief and believed the step was right.

Far away from home and chasing the life before me. I have a new abode to myself. I knew for sure this was the first step of great beginnings.

Agbeko bumped into the room as if we collectively paid the rent. He has a lot to say and I sluggishly welcomed him. In fact, you need tolerance to host my guest.

This new talkative friend says the first resident here died after a week of his first night in. He reportedly saw the ghost of the owner of the home who was buried in this same room and shouted instead of just watching as custom demanded.

The old man who's coffin lies beneath the concrete below my bed was reportedly a royal warrior. He is revered and worshipped by most residents around.

So I sleep above a god and ancestor of the people. Indeed, this is the shrine around which the house was built by the once brave warrior and now ancestor and god Agbeve.

Agbeve the ancestor and god has power to kill but never gives life. He is a living royal warrior even in grave.

I kept dreaming dreams of how horrific Agbeve's battle scenes were. Maybe he pierced and removed the eyes of opponent fighters from their sockets before finally slicing their heads.

I even now believe Agbeve wasn't only brave but extremely wicked and heartless. He was reportedly honored by his king for bringing home 50 pers of testicles of the men of the next village he slayed for stepping into the territory of the royal gods for hunting.

Being the brave guy I am, I was scared Agbeve would pull me into his grave one night. I had all the qualities needed of a brave soldier. Except I am yet to slay a man.

For the first time, I was scared the spirit of Agbeve would slay and recruit me into the army of the underworld.

I am a soldier fit for the Ghanaian army but not for Agbeve's battalion. Who would not dread life in a room as this? So I prayed and wished I were immortal.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

EWE NAMES AND THEIR MEANINGS

EVER-FRESH TRUST

BROOM-STICK TAPE MEASURE