NO





My hopes were so high up like Mount Afadja. I could not wait to finish my long day of lectures. Though it’s only six in the morning and I am yet to do anything at all, I just wanted everything to be fast forwarded.
I went through my normal morning routines, only that today my clothes were extra pressed. The date for this date was the best. There was enough money to finance everything. I wasn’t a bit scared of what the costs might be. So I got everything set and went for the lectures. The lecturer was standing up there being slow with what he ought to do. I know he knew he wasn’t being serious. I daydreamed the thought of us being alone and talking for the first time. We could see and share facial expressions at least for a moment. I really hoped it would be the beginning of a lifestyle. I checked the time so many times but my wrist watch seems to be behind time; maybe it was moving backwards. It is still morning. About five hours more to time.

 First lecturer has finally paddled the class to a long expected end.  Heads rolling to and fro, chairs screeching and loud chatters here and there. I was talking more with me and to me than to any of my mates. I am coining words to make the conversation we would have when we meet a lovely one. I wanted it to be one that we both would want to be habitual. It is midday so I pulled out my phone to tune in to the radio for the news (at least I may get some new words to add to my vocabulary).

It was almost time for the next lecture of the day. I am almost famished, so I walked to the cafeteria to munch some food of a sort. There’s a long queue of human traffic which was another test of my patience. Salivating and hungry I waited in the queue and t’was almost my turn so I unzipped my bag to reach for some money for the food. I couldn’t find my money. I wasn’t alarmed. I stepped back and combed my bag, searched my pocket and all but I still didn’t find the money. I walked as fast as my short legs could carry me to the lecture theatre to search where I sat. Now alarmed, my money is lost. All of it! Hunger can be postponed but not the date. I must skip the next lecture and go get some money from where I don’t know for my date which is just two hours away.

 

 After all, we’d need to eat before I make my proposal. I got some monies from some friends and we finally met. I forgot all my rehearsed words. She looked me in the eyes as if to say, ‘I have always loved you’ but said nothing. We’re almost done eating so even if we won’t chat, I must say my mind. So I said all I could and asked, “Do you love me? Would you be my girlfriend?”
She beheld my face with a smile that gave me hope and then she said, “No”. Did you say no? I tried to affirm. And she said again, yep! “No! To everything you said” I hung my head in tears.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

EWE NAMES AND THEIR MEANINGS

EVER-FRESH TRUST

BROOM-STICK TAPE MEASURE